Congratulations! You have incorporated. Now you need an EIN (Employer
ID Number, Federal Tax ID, Tax Payer Identification, etc.) for your business. These are necessary
to open bank accounts and engage in other taxable activities, e.g. having employees. If you
Google “Wyoming EIN” you will find many services offering “Wyoming EINs” for your
business. However, EINs come from the IRS, so they are issued at the federal level and are the same across states. Obtaining an EIN is
quick, easy, and free.
After you have incorporated, use the steps below to get a free EIN for your Corporation or Limited Liability Company:
- Go to the IRS Website
- Click “Apply for an Employer ID Number.” beneath the Tools Menu.
- Click Apply Online
- If you already have a Social Security Number, Individual Taxpayer Identification Number or another Employer ID, you’ll qualify. Click “Apply Online Now”.
- Begin Application.
- The next page contains more rules and restrictions. Click“Begin Application.”
- Click on the type of entity you’re applying for and press continue.
- The following page confirms the entity you chose. Press “Continue.”
- Now, depending upon which entity you’re applying for, you’ll be asked about how many owners there are, and your business’s physical address. Choose WY. Click “continue”
- Review your selections and click “Continue.”
- Next you’ll be asked to state why you’re applying for. Select the response that best fits your business.
- Select either individual or existing business depending on your situation. If you select “individual” you must have a SSN. If you select “business” it must have an EIN already.
- Insert your details and whether the responsible party is a third party designee or affiliated with the company.
- Insert information about the company.
- Again, insert the information required then click “Continue.”
- Again, select the appropriate answer and click “Continue.”
- Now you will be questioned about the nature of your business and its services.
- Now you will be asked how you want to obtain your new EIN. Selecting the online choice will avoid the wait. Click, “continue.”
- Finally, overview the information you have entered, make any needed corrections, and receive your Wyoming company’s EIN instantly! Woohoo!
Now you have a free EIN! Congrats! EINs are assigned geographically, and are
a necessary for many companies. You have just completed a crucial step to bettering your business.
This number will prevent many issues with the IRS. You may now transact business as there is no
Wyoming business license and your annual report
will not be due for one year.