A Private Trust Company is a company created to be the trustee of one, or more than one, family trusts; a PTC cannot solicit business with the public, their sole purpose is to act as the trustee for a trust or related trusts. It is generally used by families wishing to ensure their Wyoming trust is well maintained and well run and so that they can have a say in the trust’s decisions.
One of the main benefits of a PTC is the level of control and privacy the trustor (you) has over the
trust’s finances. A PTC is run by a board of directors in charge of making decisions, just like any other
company. The benefit is that you can appoint any number of family members, trusted business partners,
or legal experts to this board. You can even appoint yourself. The trust’s finances are therefore in the
hands of people you can rely on. And because these are people you can rely on a PTC maintains more
confidentiality than a large and highly regulated international financial institution.
In today’s world, financial circumstances can change day to day. With a PTC you can react quickly to these changing circumstances, because your board of directors will be more familiar with the transactions of the company than a corporate trustee. Therefore, they can be more efficient when reacting to those changing circumstances.
Lastly, with a PTC many different trusts can be unified under a single set of laws, instead of differing jurisdictions. Decision making is therefore simplified and more effective. Succession is also simplified under a PTC. There is a clear hierarchy of decision making that obviates the messy legal battles that can occur with trusts.
If you would like to maintain a high level of control over your family’s trusts, maintain privacy, increase your flexibility in the face of changing circumstances, and simplifying the hierarchy of control, then a Private Trust Company is probably right for you. Contact our trust attorney today.
Wyoming has the distinct characteristic of having no contribution requirements and zero State oversight. In most places a minimum contribution of $200,000 to $500,000 is required and there is significant regulation. However, in Wyoming a Wyoming Single Family Private Trust Company (WPTC) is either a Wyoming LLC or Corporation established to serve your family.
1) Owners: The company is owned by you and your family. You, family and trusted advisors fill committee and officer roles.
2) Committees: These are not required, hoowever, they are useful for operations and administration.
3) Contracted Services: Contracts may be entered into with advisors, attorneys, CPAs and more.
4) Articles: These are filed with the Secretary of State. To receive Banking Commission approval, they must specify they will not provide trustee services to the general public.
5) Important Documents: These will either be an operating agreement for an LLC or bylaws for a corporation.
6) Maintenance: The initial filing is quick. Future maintenance only requires a registered agent, annual report, and annual meeting.
To form a PTC in Wyoming you are required to establishing an office for your family. Cloud Peak
Law Group provides the following services to support your family office:
1) Assistance Establishing a Private Trust Company
2) Registered Agent in Wyoming
3) Providing an Address in Wyoming
4) Mail Forwarding & Scanning Services
5) Local Phone Number
6) Wyoming Bank Account
7) Assistance Filing With the WY Secretary of State
8) Counseling Regarding Trust Assets
9) Coordinating with Professionals, Managers and Advisors
The choice between a private and public trust company is one which your family must make. In our experiences, though, the private option's benefits often exceed the public alternative. If you prefer a public trust company, then just let us know. We would be happy to place you in touch with a trustee which can meet your needs. Find additional asset protection strategies here.
What's On Your Mind?