What is an LLC?
A limited liability company (LLC) is a business structure in the United States whereby the owners are not personally liable for the company's debts or liabilities. Limited liability companies are hybrid entities that combine the characteristics of a corporation with those of a partnership or sole proprietorship.
How to search for an LLC or other business in Virginia?
You can easily search for a business registered in Virginia. You can search for various companies, including nonprofit corporations, limited partnerships (LPs), LLCs, and other miscellaneous businesses, through the Clerk’s Information System. The site allows you to search for a business through several methods, including the business name, registered agent name, and entity ID. You can also use the business name availability option to search whether your desired LLC business name if you are in the process of filing for one, is still up for grabs.
Virginia has an advanced search option that allows you to specify and narrow down your search results.
Why would you perform a business search?
This business search is a way to contact a business or find out other information you need. You may also desire to search for a company to confirm your knowledge about the business. You can even look up your business to see what is available to the public. It's also a great way to determine whether your desired business name while filing for one is already taken and, therefore, unavailable. Some other reasons for performing a business search are listed below.
- If you want to file a lawsuit against an LLC, you can find the registered agent information on the State Corporation Commission. You can contact the agent to notify the company.
- Learn more about an LLC, including any of the information listed below.
- Find out about the ownership of an LLC.
- Searching for Name availability for Your LLC. Confirming whether your desired LLC name is already taken can help prevent rejection and additional filings for your LLC.
- Perform administrative tasks for your company.
- Confirm whether your LLC is formed officially within Virginia
What information is available through the search?
Information that is available through the Virginia business search includes the following:
- Full legal name of the company
- Name history
- Previous registrations
- Whether the company is active or inactive
- The registered agent and their address
- The type of business (LLC, DP, etc.)
- The jurisdiction that the entity was formed in
- Description of the nature of the business
- The initial filing date
- The principal and mailing addresses of the business
- Company officials' names and addresses
- Nature of the business
- Filing/ Merger History
How to Keep Your LLC Information Private?
Virginia is not one of the states that allow anonymous LLC filing directly. That is, you cannot withhold member or manager information. There are ways to get around this. One such way is by filing for two LLCs and having them listed as each other’s owners. You file LLC one’s initial report and list LLC two as the member. Then you file LLC two’s initial report and can list LLC one as the member. Each year, annual renewals will be filed for companies with the same information. When you list your registered agent and executor, it is also important not to list yourself in these roles, as you will then be required to provide your address and name.
How to update any documents on the business search?
If you need to file any forms or update any information listed on the business search about your company, then you will need to do so online on their Clerk’s Information System. If you choose not to file online, you can complete a request on the State Corporation Commission website to receive the following:
- Notice of annual registration fee
- Annual Report
- Certificate of Change of Registered Agent
- Statement of Change of principal office address