Congratulations! You have incorporated. Now you need an EIN (Employer
ID Number, Federal Tax ID, Tax Payer Identification, etc.) for your business. These are necessary
to open bank accounts and engage in other taxable activities, e.g. having employees. If you
Google “Wyoming EIN” you will find many services offering to attain a “Wyoming EIN” for your
business. However, EINs come from the IRS, so they are not state specific. Getting an EIN is
quick, easy, and free.
After you have incorporated, use the steps below to get a free EIN for your Corporation or Limited Liability Company:
- Go to www.irs.gov
- Click “Apply for an Employer ID Number.” beneath the Tools Menu.
- Click Apply Online
- This will take you to a screen to see if you are eligible to apply for an EIN online. If you already have an SSN, ITIN, or another EIN, you’ll qualify. Click “Apply Online Now”.
- Begin Application.
- This will take you to a new page containing more rules and restrictions. Click“Begin Application.”
- Click on the entity type you’re applying for and press continue.
- The next screen confirms the entity type you selected. Press “Continue.”
- Now, depending upon which entity you’re applying for, you’ll be asked about the number of officers or members, and your business’s physical address. Choose WY. Click “continue”
- Review your selections and click “Continue.”
- Next you’ll be asked to state why you’re applying for the EIN. Select the response that best fits your business.
- Select either individual or existing business depending on your situation. If you select “individual” you must have a social security number. If you select “business” it must already have an EIN.
- Insert name, SSN, and whether the individual is a third party or an shareholder/member.
- Insert basic information about the business entity.
- Again, insert the information required then click “Continue.”
- Again, select the appropriate answer and click “Continue.”
- Now you will be questioned about the nature of your business and its services.
- Now you will be asked how you want to receive notification of your Wyoming entity’s EIN. Selecting the online option will avoid the wait. Click, “continue.”
- Finally, overview the information you have entered, make any needed corrections, and receive your Wyoming company’s EIN instantly! Woohoo!
Now you have a free Wyoming based EIN! Congrats! EINs are assigned based on geographic areas, and are
a necessary for many companies. You have just completed a crucial step to bettering your business.
This number will prevent many issues with the IRS.